The House of Falkland is a fine two-storey country house, in the Jacobean-style. Built between 1838-44 by William Burn (1789 - 1870) for Onesiphorus Tyndall-Bruce (1790 - 1855) and his wife, the heiress Margaret Tyndall-Bruce (1788 - 1869) at a cost of £30,000. The couple lived at Nuthill House, but this was demolished and the stone reused for this new house. The house comprises two connected sections; a main block of two storeys and a single storey service range attached to the northwest. The tall chimneys are copied from Winton House in East Lothian. The property has been A-listed since 1972.
The House of Falkland was bought in 1890 by John Patrick Crichton-Stuart, 3rd Marquess of Bute (1847 - 1900). He immediately employed Robert Weir Schultz (1860 - 1951) to redesign the interior, in the Arts & Crafts style, featuring an idiosyncratic medley of inlaid wood, exuberant plasterwork, heraldic glass and opulently painted ceilings.